Late in March AIDA New Zealand held their annual depth nationals at beautiful Lake Taupo — from the 23rd to 25th of March a range of freedivers descended on an idyllic location to compete for national titles as well as placements as recreational divers.
Sponsors of the competition included Dogtooth Diving, Kathryn Nevatt and the Lazy Seals. AIDA New Zealand is grateful to everyone who donated prizes, and thankful for all of the volunteers who helped organize the event, as well as the many terrific freedivers who participated. DeeperBlue.com readers can check out a photo gallery here of the event and the athletes.
The battle for first place at this freediving competition actually resulted in a tie between Phil Clayton (UK) and Ben Noble (AU) who bothy scored 138 points.
- 1st Place AIDA – 1st place was ultimately given to Ben Noble for his clean performances; in good form he quickly donated his Dogtooth prize to some recreational divers.
- 2nd Place AIDA – Phil Clayton with 138 points (although tied with Ben numerically.)
- 3rd Place AIDA – 3rd Place went to Sam Barnes with a total of 90 points.
- 1st Place Rec Male – 1st Place (male) in the Rec Grade went to Paul Smillie with a total of 85 points.
- 1st Place Rec Female – 1st Place (female) went to Rochele Potter with 20 points.