Beneath the Sea has announced Divers Alert Network board member Captain Kathy Weydig as its Diver Of the Year.
Commenting on the award, DAN President and CEO Bill Ziefle stated:
“We are thrilled that Beneath the Sea has recognized Kathy’s significant accomplishments in the dive industry. From the time she’s invested in DAN to her work with the Coast Guard to promote dive boat safety standards to her work with Sea Scouts to empower the next generation of divers she has been a tireless advocate for diving.”
Weydig has had an accomplished career and is chairmwoan of the DAN board of directors. Her achievements and qualifications so far include:
- Coast Guard 100-Ton Master Captain.
- Boating safety officer for the San Bernardino County (California) Sheriff’s Department.
- Scuba Diving International/Technical Diving International (SDI/TDI) Instructor Trainer
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute and the National Safe Boating Council Instructor.
- President of Tech Diving Limited.
Weydig was appointed to the DAN board in 2004 and was elected chair in 2018. She is also a member of the Women Divers Hall of Fame and helped create their scholarship program. She has also completed several expeditions to iconic destinations including the USS Monitor, the Andrea Doria, the USS Wilkes Barre, and a B29 Bomber in Lake Mead.