The recipients of the 2018 NOGI Awards have been announced by the Academy of Underwater Arts and Sciences.
The prestigious awards, which started in 1960 and are often referred to as the “Oscars of the diving industry”, are given to pioneers and leaders in their fields. There are five award categories: Distinguished Service, Sports and Education, Environment, Science, and Arts.
The recipients of this year’s awards are:
- Peter Hughes – NOGI Distinguished Service Award, to recognize over 50 years of contributions to the recreational dive industry.
- Sally E. Bauer MD – NOGI Sports and Education Award, for her role in education including starting the Florida Keys History of Diving Museum.
- John C. Ogden Ph.D. – NOGI Environment Award, for his various environmental roles including work at NOAA.
- Michael Gernhardt – NOGI Science Award, for his work on decompression, including developing a new model in the 1970s based on the Biophysics of Tissue bubble dynamics.
- Marty Snydermann – NOGI Arts Award, for his body of work in both still and moving images, that highlighted the beauty of our underwater world.