The dates and winners of the 20th Annual International Ocean Film Festival have been announced.
The event will take place April 13 through April 16, 2023, at San Francisco’s Cowell Theatre at Fort Mason and San Rafael’s Smith Theatre. This year, there are 42 entrants from 17 different countries. The winners of this year’s awards have been announced and include:
- 2023 Environment Award: Collision, By Philip Hamilton (London, UK) 80 min.
- 2023 Conservation Award & 2023 Director’s Award: Deep Rising, Matthieu Rytz (USA) 98 min.
- 2023 Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Award: Gender Outlaw, a bodysurfing story, Peter Williams (USA) 16 min.
- 2023 Ocean Sports & Exploration Award: Havana Libre, Corey McLean (USA) 85 min.
- 2023 Female Filmmaker Award: The Impossible Wave, Jessica Frankovelgia Johnson & Jay Johnson (USA) 40 min.
- 2023 Wildlife Award: Mediterranean LIFE UNDER SIEGE, Fred Fougea (France) 91 min.
- 2023 Coastal and Island Culture Award: New Boats, Lansana Mansaray (Sierra Leone) 50 min.
- 2023 Short Award: Rise of the Clambassador, Alexander Davidowski (USA) 8 min.
Commenting on this year’s offering, the Executive Director for the Festival Ana Blanco said:
“All of our films and filmmakers are standouts and advance our mission of saving our oceans through the beauty and education of the visual medium. In a field of exceptional quality and diversity, especially this year, we have eight standouts deserving of special recognition.”
You can find out more information about the festival here, or check out the trailer for one of this year’s winners, “Deep Rising,” below.