The winners of the ninth annual United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition were announced today during the United Nations World Oceans Day 2022 event at the UN Headquarters in New York.
The free competition, which launched this past March, explored six categories linked to the overarching 2022 World Oceans Day theme: “Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean.”
The competition judges, including wildlife photographer Rathika Ramasamy, conservation photojournalist and marine biologist Sirachai Arunrugstichai and underwater photographer Y. Zin Kim, selected first, second and third place winners for the six categories, with the first-place winners being:
- Above Water Seascapes — Cao Nyugen Vu (Vietnam)
- Underwater Seascapes — Nicholas Hahn (Argentina)
- Revitalization — Aunk Horwang (Thailand)
- Coastal Communities — Supachai Veerayutthanon (Thailand)
- Ocean Critters — Viktor Lyaguskin (Georgia)
- Nature-Based Solutions & Ocean Exploration — Giacomo d’Orlando (Italy)
Winners were selected from thousands of global entries made by both amateur and professional photographers.
Check out all the winning photos at www.unworldoceansday.org.
(Featured Image credit: Nicholas Hahn/UNworldoceansday.org)