The World Underwater Federation has decided to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes from participating in CMAS-sanctioned freediving events, in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
In a statement released March 6th, CMAS said:
“CMAS has deeply rooted values that are shared by all its members and athletes and strongly believes in promoting Fair Play, Peace, Solidarity and Protection of species worldwide.”
Consequently, CMAS’s board of directors has decided the following:
* “In the name of Fair Play to suspend Russian and Belarus athletes and officials from participating in CMAS sporting events, given the incapacity of Ukrainian athletes to take part.
* “In the name of CMAS value of solidarity CMAS will not issue diving certificates to Russian and Belarusian federations.
* “To avoid the promotion of Russia and Belarus, by:
– “Removing Flags from communication tools
– “Not holding CMAS events in Russia and Belarus
– “Suspending relations with the Russian and Belarusian media
– “Prohibiting Russian and Belarusian companies from sponsoring CMAS events.”