The Divers Alert Network is urging divers to be extra careful during this week’s lobster mini season in Florida.
The season runs July 25-26, 2018 and historically is the most dangerous 48 hours of diving in Florida during the entire year.
Over the last decade, there has been 20 fatalities during mini season, and divers run a 140 percent higher risk of dying while diving in lobster mini season than at any other time. This is mainly due to divers getting carried away by the thrill of the chase or even due to lack of regular dive practice and training.
Consequently, DAN has issued the following recommendations to divers during lobster mini season:
- Check your air regularly.
- Dive with a buddy, and stay in close proximity to them.
- Make sure you are physically fit to dive.
- Plan your dive and execute it.
- Make sure you conduct buddy checks.
- No Alcohol before diving.
- Ensure that any medications you are taking are compatible with diving.