The Divers Alert Network has set itself a mission to instill a global culture of dive safety as the single best way to ensure the safety of scuba divers across the board.
According to DAN Vice President of Mission Petar Denoble:
“Developing and sustaining a culture of safety is the single most effective approach to reducing injuries in diving… For this reason, it should be a top priority for all industry stakeholders. It’s vital that we come together to ensure safety is an integral part of daily operations, not an afterthought.”
To achieve this, DAN has enhanced the training offered to pro and business members, and beginning in 2019, training will cover the following areas:
- Risk Management: featuring DAN’s new Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA) program which is tailor-made for the dive industry and aims to significantly reduce the risk to industry stakeholders.
- Medical Services: DAN will continue to provide medical services to all levels of divers, including Physician training. The DAN Emergency hotline is available to dives 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
- Training: providing industry-leading basic and advanced first aid training specifically tailored to divers needs.
- Diver Protection: DAN has introduced no-cost medical cover for instructors who wish to cover their students.
- Health and Safety Resources: DAN supports and offers the world’s most comprehensive online library and resource covering dive medicine and dive fitness.
- Chamber Services: development and further support of DAN’s global network of recompression chambers.
DAN aims to allow dive industry stakeholders the freedom to take part in as much or as little of the programs as they feel is relevant to their individual circumstances.
For more info, go to diversalertnetwork.org.
Get More Articles Like This!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get more interesting stuff like this direct to your email inbox every Friday.