New York, New York — The international Women Divers Hall of Fame (WDHoF) has announced its class of 2011. Ten prominent female divers will be inducted, later this spring, into WDHoF on March 26, 2011 at the Beneath the Sea consumer diver show in New Jersey. Bonnie Toth, chairwoman of WDHoF, says “Every year we take time to recognize women who have contributed in some way to the scuba diving industry. This year’s ‘class’ includes individuals who have contributed in the areas of education, media, research, photography and video.”
The non-profit Women Divers Hall of Fame has members who span a variety of fields and specialties. Members currently represent the Arts, Science, Medicine, Exploration & Technology, Marine Archeology, Business,Media, Training & Education, Safety, Commercial & Military Diving, Free Diving, and Underwater Sports.
Previous inductees into the Women Divers Hall of Fame include world champion freediver Mandy-Rae Cruickshank of PFI, oceanographer Dr. Sylvia Earle, and television icon Zale Parry.
This year’s inductees are:
- Sally E. Bauer, MD: physician, historian, speaker, writer, marine researcher
- Gina Bier: police detective, police diver, NAUI instructor trainer
- Christine Rooney Bird, MD: physician, television series producer, Founder, Ocean Research Group, Inc.
- Céline Cousteau: film producer, international adventurer, environment preservationist
- Anna DeLoach: computer expert, researcher, publisher, videographer, magazine editor
- Karen Straus: diving pioneer, instructor, journalist, photographer/videographer
- Maureen Langevin: diving instructor, tech diver, boat captain, videographer, expedition leader
- Michele Westmorland: visual artist, nature photographer/instructor, expedition leader
- Deborah Whitcraft: maritime historian, writer and speaker; President and Curator of the New Jersey Maritime Museum
- Cristina Zenato: ocean conservationist, diving instructor, cave explorer
You can read the biographies of each of these female divers by downloading the full press release here.
Photo courtesy of Celine Cousteau
Get More Articles Like This!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get more interesting stuff like this direct to your email inbox every Friday.