DeeperBlue.com is launching a program to help keep our community, content, and journalism free.
Thank you to those of you who have asked for a way to financially support our journalism. Our mission for the last 25+ years has been to inspire, educate and inform the global diving community, and we are so honored that you want to play an important role in it.
We want you to play an important role in this mission too – with a small monthly contribution.
Of course, we couldn’t launch this new initiative without first explaining it. So here’s everything you need to know about DeeperBlue.com’s new contribution program.
Why launch this contribution program now?
The pandemic impacted everyone in the diving industry very badly, with everyone isolated and protecting their loved ones many of us found ourselves unable to keep connected to the oceans that we love.
During this period DeeperBlue.com focussed on keeping our readers and community educated, inspired, and connected to the oceans with daily news, stunning photography on our social feeds, weekly features, our passionate forums and Facebook groups, a new mobile app, and starting our award-winning podcast.
So many of you wrote to us during this period to share how much our content meant to you and to keep you connected to diving even when we could get out there.
So many of you also asked how you could contribute and support us during this period which was very touching.
While we could have launched the program during the pandemic we felt that it wasn’t the right time as many people in the industry and our diving community were suffering financially. Asking our readers and members to contribute financially just didn’t feel right.
Now life is starting to slowly move towards a more sense of normal, and people are out diving again, we feel we wanted to respond to those that asked us how you could contribute and support our mission.
We thought long and hard about how to make this accessible to everyone and the program is designed to allow you to decide how much financially you’d like to contribute.
Doesn’t DeeperBlue.com make more money when more people read, watch, and listen to our content?
It’s true, more people are turning to DeeperBlue.com right now than at any other time in our 25-year existence: and there is never a better time for you to get involved!
We provide all of our content free – and we’re committed to keeping it that way. However, without a subscription product or a paywall at DeeperBlue.com, advertising is still a major revenue source for us.
This means your support means everything to us!
How will contributions be used?
Your support will enable our staff to offer free news, articles, daily inspiring photos, and our podcast where we’ll continue to educate, inspire and inform about diving and the oceans. Here are a few examples of what your contribution could help us do:
- Continue to produce high-quality daily news covering Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy, and Diving Travel. Now more than ever, as the world opens up and we can start getting back into the water, we want to keep you connected to the underwater world in a safe way. We will be here for you with key information you need, whenever you need it
- Inspire you with amazing daily underwater photography and weekly video content. We scour the web for the very best imagery to share with you every single day across our social accounts. Now more than ever it’s important to highlight the beauty of the underwater world and how we can experience it whether you dive with tanks or without.
- Introduce you to THE most interesting people. Our multi-award-nominated and Webby-winning podcast introduces you to the most interesting people in the dive world, from world-famous underwater pioneers to fearless modern explorers.
- Produce new explainers and guides to help people on their journey into diving of all types. In a world full of “low-calorie” clickbait content, we are working hard to produce best-in-class content including our Beginner and Ultimate guides. We are also producing explainer content on YouTube to complement these guides and help combat misinformation with high-quality journalism.
- Keep our passionate forums and Facebook groups a safe place to discuss everything to do with diving. We’ve been a market-leading community in the diving world since 1996 and this extends from our forums all the way through to our huge Facebook groups. We work hard every day to keep these communities safe places to discuss all aspects of diving.
Your financial contribution will support all of our work across our website, social, YouTube, and podcasts.
Is this contribution tax-deductible?
No, your contribution is not tax-deductible. This is not a charitable donation. Even though there is no tax break, there is the benefit of knowing you’re stepping up to do your part to make sure the public is informed. Thank you.
How does someone make a financial contribution to DeeperBlue.com?
Glad you asked. Click here to contribute. And thank you so much.