It has been 40 years since the introduction of the Spare Air by Submersible Systems, Inc.
Founded in 1979 after an out-of-air emergency experienced by Larry Williamson, the President and inventor of Spare Air, Larry was on his first night dive looking for lobster when he experienced an out of air emergency:
“As I began to black out, my only thought was, ‘If I only had one more breath of air.'”
From a near-tragedy, the company was born and now, 40 years later, Spare Air is sold worldwide to recreational, technical, commercial and military divers.
The Spare Air system comes in sizes from 1.7 Cubic Feet to 6 Cubic Feet, in Air and Nitrox models, and can be purchased with a high-pressure pump to refill the cylinder up to 3,000 psi (200 bar).
The Spare Air 40th Anniversary Edition is offered for a limited time with a blue, anodized finish and anniversary logo and is also available in the standard black, anodized finish.
The Spare Air Ultimate Safety & Travel Package is listed at US$395 (~358 Euros). It comes with:
- Spare Air with 3.0 cu.ft. black anodized cylinder
- 910S REFILL ADAPTER – Fills Spare Air off SCUBA tank
- 973 COVERED HOLSTER – Mounts Spare Air to BC
- 961 LEASH – Prevents accidental loss of your Spare Air
- TRAVEL PACK (helps you travel with your Spare Air)
- DRAWSTRING CARRYING BAG – holds Spare Air and accessories
- DIVER SAFETY SIGNALING KIT (includes 10′ Safety Sausage, Light Stick, Signaling Mirror, Deluxe Whistle, 9′ Buddy Lanyard, Mesh Bag)
Additional sizes, accessories can be purchased from a local dealer or from the website at ssishoppingcart.com.