In memory of the legendary Dr. R.W. “Bill” Hamilton who passed away in 2011, the Divers Alert Network has announced a US$10,000 research grant.
Hamilton dedicated his life to studying dive safety, and was nicknamed the “Prince of Gases.” According to DAN Vice President of Mission Petar Denoble:
“Decompression safety was Bill Hamilton’s life’s work. We established this grant to carry on his legacy and to support the next generation of researchers studying diving physiology and advanced decompression procedures. We’re excited to help fund and promote research that builds on Bill’s work and that can ultimately help save lives.”
The grant is designed for researchers in the following areas:
- Decompression procedure development for commercial, military, technical and/or recreational divers.
- Decompression model development.
- Probability of risk or probabilistic modeling.
- Simulation of Multi Gas dives.
- Testing and procedures for dive computers.
- Treatment of decompression incidents and incomplete decompression.
Researchers can be at any stage of their professional or educational development but are required to submit their results to DAN. Grant applications must be submitted by April 24, 2019, and winners will be notified by May 15, 2019.