The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) has enacted new regulations to protect sharks in its waters as well as the Blue Heron Bridge dive site.
The new shark fishing rules include:
- All anglers must attend an online education course about the importance of sharks.
- All anglers over 16 years of age must acquire a free license.
- A permit is also required if using a leader more than 4ft/1.2m long.
- Fishers must carry a device capable of cutting the line or hook and releasing the shark.
- Fishers must cut the shark free with a minimum of line and hook left without raising the shark’s gills out of the water.
These new regulations will take effect from July 1, 2019.
New Blue Heron Bridge rules:
- It is now prohibited to take aquarium-sized marine life from the Blue Heron Bridge site while scuba diving.
- Hook and line fishing is still allowed on the site.
You can find the new shark fishing guidelines here.