Paul Raymaehers is very enthusiastic when describing the new Horizon semi-closed rebreather (SCR).
The founder and president of rEvo has been inventing and engineering some of the best rebreathers in the world for decades and now, in partnership with Mares, has created what he describes as a tremendously easy to use, natural to dive system designed for all levels of divers and utmost simplicity and security.
Now serving as the Lead Engineer on the Horizon SCR, Paul has created a a system designed to be as easy to use as diving Nitrox (EANx), allowing massive extended dive times (3-8 times normal open-circuit times), in a lightweight, highly air portable system that can use non-dedicated gas cylinders. This allows divers to use Nitrox (EANx) to pick up standard cylinders at their destination!
By blending gas to maintain an ideal EANx mix, depending on diver preference, the controller also allows the gas mix to be changed during the dive to extend dive time or decrease decompression obligations. The controller automatically warns a diver if an inappropriate gas mix exists.
DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT:
- Height: 54 cm
- Width: 40 cm
- Depth: 22 cm
- Unit weight: 12 kg (without regulator set)
- Complete non-deco version weight: 13.4 kg
- Complete full deco version weight: 14.8 kg
- Two (2) scrubber canisters, each containing 1 kg of CO2 absorbent that can be refilled by user
- Two (2) integrated weight pockets, each containing a maximum of 2.5 kg of weight
- Fully adjustable harness system, from XS to XXL
- Safety gag strap on mouthpiece
- 2 oxygen sensors
- Constant oxygen fraction supplied to the diver, adjustable during diving
- Reverts automatically to full nitrox breathing in case of failure
- Remaining scrubber time calculated by the dive computer
- No tools required for preparation, use, cleaning
LIMITS OF USE
- Maximum recommended depth using one stage cylinder as gas supply, no decompression: 30 m
- Maximum allowed depth using two stage cylinders as gas supply: 40 m
- ppO2 during use: minimum 0.22 bar, maximum 1.60 bar
- Water temperature: minimum 4°C, maximum 34°C
- Allowed nitrox mix: minimum 30%, maximum 99%
- Approved scrubber material: Sofnolime 797
- Scrubber material endurance depending on temperature and metabolic oxygen consumption: calculated by the dive computer (i.e. at 15°C or higher, with medium/high oxygen consumption, duration is > 3 h)
The Mares Horizon SCR also features:
- Three sets of redundant electronics, each with an individual battery system
- All battery systems can be charged from one single point
- 2.8” full color, high contrast dive computer screen
- User adaptable gradient factor decompression algorithm
- HUD with clear GOOD / FAIL indication
- Approved to 40m
Suggested retail price starts at US$4,500 (4,071 Euros). For more info, go to mares.com.