A UK coroner has condemned an ill-fitting full-face snorkeling mask and raised concerns about them after the death of a 56-year-old British man while snorkeling in Australia.
The man got into difficulties after the mask started to fog up and leak, which resulted in the victim being deprived of oxygen.
The man bought the mask on Amazon from a vendor that is now out of business, which was another criticism of the coroner. The coroner added that there have been global concerns about the safety of these types of masks.
This is not the first time these masks are in the news for all the wrong reasons. In 2017, we reported that questions were being raised in Hawaii after it became clear that multiple fatalities had occurred to people using these masks.
Two years later, HEAD/Mares raised concerns and led calls to create an international safety standard for these masks, as the deaths carried on at snorkeling hotspots around the world.